Ashes

Will England win a game of anything?
Will Tiger Tim win Wimbledon?

Previous topicNext topic

Re: Ashes

Postby dog rout 21 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:21 pm

AD wrote:
And re: the third umpire - why should it matter where the ball's pitching for lbw. If it show it hitting the wickets it should be out.

I understand that there's a higher degree of potential error the further the ball moves, but if you're going to use technology for decisions then it should be used fully, otherwise you're just penalising good bowling.

nah dont agree
ISUZU OUT!
#bringcovbacktonorthampton
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bolix » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:49 pm

dog rout 21 wrote:
AD wrote:
And re: the third umpire - why should it matter where the ball's pitching for lbw. If it show it hitting the wickets it should be out.

I understand that there's a higher degree of potential error the further the ball moves, but if you're going to use technology for decisions then it should be used fully, otherwise you're just penalising good bowling.

nah dont agree

I thort the ball had to hit the batsman in line with the stumps for lbw.
Surely that must be easy to determine.
I'm probably wrong but this is only cricket after all?
Ken Dodd's dad's dog's dead
bolix
Manager
Manager

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby Timbo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:16 pm

bolix wrote:
I thort the ball had to hit the batsman in line with the stumps for lbw.
Surely that must be easy to determine.

Depends if a stroke is being played. Someone yesterday was given out by video referral when it his them outside the line but they were trying to leave the ball.

Not sure I understand AD's point. Is he talking about the LBW law in general or what can be given as LBW via replay?
Timbo

Postby Sky Blue Steve-o » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:27 pm

AD wrote:

If the ball pitches outside leg you can't be out LBW.
Sky Blue Steve-o
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:56 am

The lbw law is good as it stands, if you start saying that spinners bowling round the wicket and pitching in from the leg side can get you out then they will become the dominant bowlers, as it is much more difficult to play without the option of padding away than orthodox over the wicket spin bowling, or any type of quick bowling.
Have fun
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby AD » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 am

My gripe is mainly to do with the replays, as I accept it can be very difficult to determine with the naked eye if a ball is turning sufficiently to hit the wicket, therefore introducing doubt and if there's doubt he can't be out.

As for it being difficult for batters without the option of padding it away - fuck 'em. The idea is to hit that small round thing with the big piece of wood in your hands, not kick it away. it's supposed to be about skill, so go learn some skills that make it so you can hit the ball. Hitting that wicket is hard enough and if you've got the ability to go outside the line and get it to turn sufficiently to hit the wicket you should be rewarded for it, not penalised.

The game is set up far too much in batters favour. I've seen pitches described as terrible lead to incredibly exciting games because of the difficulty, but usually ones described as good lead to a boring draw.

And the condescending manner of the pundits that used to be batters really pisses me off too. Fair enough, the bowlers aren't that great with a bat but they have to have a go. Perhaps if bowling were done on rotation so the batters had to bowl to the tail they'd be a bit more humble about it.

You may have guessed that I was a bowler [smilie=icon_mrhappy.gif]
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby dog rout 21 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:53 pm

I bowl leg spin and think that idea's bollocks. I don't know how accurate the hawkeye thing is with spin/swing but I struggle to believe it's that accurate that it can judge whether a ball that pitches outside leg will spin enough/not too much/the correct type of spin to hit the stumps 100%? for that it would need to work on rotations and speed of the ball rather than just a formula, maybe it does? but they don't seem to ever map that, more the deviation after it's pitched and been bowled. Are you also saying that if a ball pitched plumb but had a little too much spin it should be not out? Bounce, pitch and angle of delivery to give striaght line trachectory seem perfectly sound to me as all you're really doing is improving the umpire but to actually change the game so that it's essentially not played by the same rules from sunday morning village green to test match seems wrong.
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AD » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 am

dog rout 21 wrote:
I bowl leg spin and think that idea's bollocks. I don't know how accurate the hawkeye thing is with spin/swing but I struggle to believe it's that accurate that it can judge whether a ball that pitches outside leg will spin enough/not too much/the correct type of spin to hit the stumps 100%? for that it would need to work on rotations and speed of the ball rather than just a formula, maybe it does? but they don't seem to ever map that, more the deviation after it's pitched and been bowled. Are you also saying that if a ball pitched plumb but had a little too much spin it should be not out? Bounce, pitch and angle of delivery to give striaght line trachectory seem perfectly sound to me as all you're really doing is improving the umpire but to actually change the game so that it's essentially not played by the same rules from sunday morning village green to test match seems wrong.

Sounds fair enough - the question mark over the accuracy of the system will remain for some time. I don't necessarily agree about village green-test match cricket having to be exactly the same but that's just a personal opinion.

As for if it pitched plumb and had too much spin so that it showed it wasn't hitting the wicket no I don't think it should be out. His leg wasn't preventing the ball hitting the wicket, so it's not out.

I just really don't like that batters can just pad it away. If they don't think it's going to hit the stumps then let it through to the keeper. If you think it might be hitting the stumps get a bat on it. Padding away is just a get out clause that stops them having to play a difficult delivery without the fear of being out. That to me seems wrong and prejudiced in favour of the batsmen.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby billythefish » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:58 am

Most one sided days cricket have seen in years - brilliant stuff
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby Lloydy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:29 am

proper xmas present right there, lovin it!
RIP Jimmy 'the Rev' Sullivan
Lloydy
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:44 am

The Aussies are blaming Burf :lol:
2014 will be our year !!
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby dog rout 21 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:46 am

ponting :lol: :lol: :lol:
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Roger Mellie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:54 am

He is such a cock! Surely he's got to resign now, even the Aussies have realised what a complete and utter helmet the bloke is.

[ Post made via iPhone] Image
Roger Mellie
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:40 am

Ponting blames Burf 8)
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby dog rout 21 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: he's still trying to claim there was an inside edge on hotspot, he's more fucking deluded than KC
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CoC » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:05 am

[smilie=easy.gif] [smilie=easy.gif] [smilie=easy.gif]
CoC
Webmaster
Webmaster

Highscores: 1