Snooker Loopy

Will England win a game of anything?
Will Tiger Tim win Wimbledon?

Previous topicNext topic

Snooker Loopy

Postby plastic_manc » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Dunno if anyone takes an interest in snooker on here, but I noticed a few Cov '87 kits in the crowd last year, and this year I've seen people in the limited ed Cov/England shirt.

Last snooker player from round these parts is Mick Price isn't it?
plastic_manc
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 1

Re: Snooker Loopy

Postby Sick Boy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Probably because it has got a better atmosphere than that lifeless bowl we call a football ground.
Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted.
Sick Boy
Manager
Manager

Postby Realist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Mark Selby is from Leicester, does that count as from around here ? He's a good decent genuine lad too, I hope he wins the World title. If he doesn't I'd rather anybody other than that O'Sullivan twat.

Prediction League World Champion.
Realist

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby plastic_manc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Sick Boy wrote:
Probably because it has got a better atmosphere than that lifeless bowl we call a football ground.

[smilie=icon_mrhappy.gif] There is a great atmos in the crucible actually, suprising considering how small it is.

Realist wrote:
Mark Selby is from Leicester, does that count as from around here ? He's a good decent genuine lad too, I hope he wins the World title. If he doesn't I'd rather anybody other than that O'Sullivan twat.

Well I wasn't going to suggest him because he's from Leicester, and there were a few Leicester shirts in the crowd yesterday as well.

Glad it isn't just me that dislikes ROS.
plastic_manc
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Ronnie might not be everybodies cup of tea, but when his head his striaght he is the best player ever. The only thing that stops him from winning pretty much everything he enters is his own demons, which I think all the other players should be pretty thankful for.

I was very worried to hear that Hearn wants to make it so after 12minutes whoever is winning a frame i=wins it, it will take safety battles out of the game, and they can be every bit as entertaining as pot fests.
Have fun
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby plastic_manc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:12 pm

skyblue wrote:
I was very worried to hear that Hearn wants to make it so after 12minutes whoever is winning a frame i=wins it, it will take safety battles out of the game, and they can be every bit as entertaining as pot fests.

So long as those ideas are only used in new tourneys, would be ok I guess (kind of like offering a 20/20 alternative) but proper snooker is all about the tactics.

Back to this years worlds, I'm hoping Steve Davis continues to roll back the years... he played so well to go 6-2 up yesterday.
plastic_manc
Manager
Manager

Postby Realist » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:20 am

Well done Selby, now please go on and win it please, I have a nice few quid riding on it. [smilie=icon_mrhappy.gif]
Realist

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby Timbo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:02 pm

skyblue wrote:

I think it could be quite the opposite but still have a negative impact. Someone will get in and make a reasonable break and then play spoiler to protect their lead. Or you are going to get situations where a player is running around the table and rushing shots because they are running out of time to get ahead. Its a bollocks idea.

If they want to speed up the game why not introduce a chess-style time frame time limit. Only allow the player x amount of seconds between shots. Anything over and above that is taken off their allotted time. Once their time is used up they have to play each shot within time or lose the frame (or points).
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby skyblue » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Timbo wrote:
skyblue wrote:

I think it could be quite the opposite but still have a negative impact. Someone will get in and make a reasonable break and then play spoiler to protect their lead. Or you are going to get situations where a player is running around the table and rushing shots because they are running out of time to get ahead. Its a bollocks idea.

If they want to speed up the game why not introduce a chess-style time frame time limit. Only allow the player x amount of seconds between shots. Anything over and above that is taken off their allotted time. Once their time is used up they have to play each shot within time or lose the frame (or points).

Why speed it up at all? It is a game of tactics and strategy as much as a game about potting. It was always exciting seeing the big breaks on the old cloths becuase we didn't see many, but now with the faster tables and the more aggressive playing mentality most frames take less than 15 minutes anyway.
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby Timbo » Sat May 01, 2010 10:31 am

I don't disagree. I'm just saying if they want to speed up games then there have to be better solutions than whoevers winning after 12 mins wins the frame.
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby dog rout 21 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:00 pm

been an excellent evening of snooker tonight
ISUZU OUT!
#bringcovbacktonorthampton
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Realist » Sun May 02, 2010 1:46 pm