thrilla in Manilla

Will England win a game of anything?
Will Tiger Tim win Wimbledon?

Previous topicNext topic

thrilla in Manilla

Postby bolix » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Anyone catch the doc. on the Frazier v Ali fights last night?
Boxing's mostly shite but that fight between those two was something else.
bolix
Manager
Manager

Prediction League Wins: 1

Re: thrilla in Manilla

Postby Realist » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:14 pm

I started to watch it when I was in bed but fell asleep after the 1st fight. Thankfully I have just checked my V+ and I recorded the same programme a few weeks back and so will view it fully in the next couple of days.

I've never understood all this bollocks about Ali being the greatest sportsman in the last century. He lost fights before the parkinsons set in, so how this makes somebody the greatest I'll never know. He was a loud-mouthed racist braggart. Don't get me wrong he was good at the showmanship and he wasn't a bad boxer either, but the greatest ? I think he made his reputation with the way he boxed against George Foreman, at a time when they all thought Foreman was unbeatable. He lost to Leon Spinks who was just an okay fighter in my opinion, and somebody who - if you are claiming to be and are proclaimed as "The Greatest" - you should never lose to. By the time he lost to Larry Holmes and then Trevor Berbick I think the parkinsons was already having an affect.

Prediction League World Champion.
Realist

Prediction League Wins: 2

Re: thrilla in Manilla

Postby bolix » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm

They touched on whether he (ali) should have continued after this fight. The advice was : "No way!" but unfortunately......
Frazier comes out of the "gorilla" "Uncle Tom" jibes really well. Probably the better boxer too. Respect.
Some superb quotes and footage. Really captured the mood and big fight atmosphere. '"Anyone, anywhere who's ever been drawn to boxing must watch the 14th round." Like I said, not a fan of boxing, but that re run was compelling stuff!! And I'd forgotten how it ends. :-)
Brilliant.
bolix
Manager
Manager

Prediction League Wins: 1

Return to Other Sports