Boxing Tonight

Will England win a game of anything?
Will Tiger Tim win Wimbledon?

Previous topicNext topic

Boxing Tonight

Postby Joe » Sat May 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Carl Froch again tonight, no suprise in that he's confident as ever and says that if (or when) he wins tonight his next fight should be against Joe Calzaghe.

Froch is doing all the right things IMO - the Yanks are taking an interest in him and have a contract where his fights are shown on HBO (is it?)

THREE people pulled out of fighting him, two with injuries (seems a bit odd) and the Yank pulled out due to not being able to get to the UK in time or something.

Surely after tonight if he wins he's entitled to a world title fight ? Unbeaten, looked class in all his fights and is not afraid of fighting the best......a fight against Kessler would be quality IMO, if he can beat him then Calzaghe must SURELY fight him ?

Junior Witter on the same bill too, not seen him fight before but heard plenty of good things, fancies himself against Hatton again from what I hear.
Joe
Manager
Manager

Re: Boxing Tonight

Postby Sick Boy » Tue May 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Sounded like a right **** in his interview after the fight. Let me him fight JC, we'll soon see how cocky he is then. ;-)
Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted.
Sick Boy
Manager
Manager

Postby Joe » Tue May 13, 2008 6:18 pm

Confident - ALL boxers are confident and to be fair lad he's got something to be cocky about don't you think ?

WBC Rankings -

Joe Calzaghe
1. Carl Froch
2. Dennis Inkin
3. Mikkel Kessler
4. Jermain Taylor
5. Edison Miranda
6. Jean Pascal
7. Jurgen Brahmer
8. Markus Beyer
9. Cristian Sanavia
10. Alejandro Berrio
11. Jeff Lacy
12. Andre Ward
13. Mads Larsen
14. Stanislav Kashtanov
15. Peter Manfredo Jr.

Making Froch the number one contender.....but as Calzaghe is a money grabbing Welsh **** he would rather drop the title.

WBO

Joe Calzaghe
1. Juergen Braehmer
2. Jean Pascal
3. Denis Inkin
4. Mikkel Kessler
5. Edison Miranda
6. Carl Froch
7. Karoly Balzsay
8. Jean Paul Mendy
9. Jermain Taylor
10. Librado Andrade
11. Allan Green
12. Sakio Bika
13. Victor Oganov
14. Daniel McKinnon
15. Kariz Kariuki

Rankings dont lie and he aint fair off there to be fair either is he ? Like it or not Froch has EARNT the right to fight Calzaghe.

As Calzaghe himself said "If the moneys right I will fight you" IMO Mick Hennessy will stump it up then what's his excuse going to be ?

Froch absolutley battered that pole on Saturday who I may add was UNBEATEN, Froch made him look like an amatuer.

Some on here say he isn't in the same league as Calzaghe - The stats say different.

Calzaghe fought Kessler in the last 6 months - Froch is rated ABOVE Kessler so why not have it with Froch ? All seems a bit suss to me.
Joe
Manager
Manager

Postby Louthy » Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 pm

Your only interested in Froch because he's from the same place as you live Joe. FACT.

If he was from anywhere other than Nottingham, you wouldn't give a flying fuck. ALSO A FACT.
Louthy
Manager
Manager

Postby Joe » Wed May 14, 2008 5:34 am

Obviously i'm a keen follower of him because he is from Nottingham yes, as you would support your local boxers.

Can anyone tell me he doesn't deserve a title shot though ? You all told me he wasn't in the same league and deserved fuck all yet iv'e proved to you that he is in the same league and also is the madatory challenger for Calzaghes WBC belt.

But of course lets ignore the fact that Joe was right and just point out that he only likes him because he's from Nottingham :roll: Well spotted lad :roll:
Joe
Manager
Manager

Postby Timbo » Wed May 14, 2008 9:06 am

I understood Calzaghe was only after one or more pay days before retiring. There doesn't appear to be anyone in his weight class that can offer that which is why he fought Hopkins. I expect he'll stick to the Light Heavyweight class now.
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby Sick Boy » Wed May 14, 2008 11:04 am

Would be quality if they did actually get in the ring together, hopefully it will happen. Going to the Hatton fight on 24th, can't wait!! :D
Sick Boy
Manager
Manager

Postby ccfctommy » Wed May 14, 2008 3:49 pm

I would like to see Froch v Calzaghe although a. I dont think it will happen and b. Calzaghe will be too much for him.
ccfctommy
Manager
Manager

Postby Joe » Wed May 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Fair enough Tommy, good points well made. I personally belive Froch would beat him but I don't for one minute think that's obvious.

If Froch's promoter puts up the money then why not ? It would be huge AND the USA.
Joe
Manager
Manager

Postby Sick Boy » Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Would be a quality fight!! Do get the impression that JC is bit wary of fighting Froch as he obviously seems him as a threat!
Sick Boy
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Sun May 18, 2008 3:38 pm

I think 2 or 3 years ago Calzaghe would have fought him, but at the stage of career he is at now I don't think anybody can blame him for going for the big money fights. He's fought evrybody over the last 10 or so years and as proven he is a great champion, one of the best Britain as ever produced. Froch is a good boxer, but he as got a long way to go to prove he is in the same league as Calzaghe.
Have fun
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby Joe » Sun May 18, 2008 6:22 pm

Are you blind ?

He is the number 1 contender for the WBC belt therefore he has EARNT the right to fight him - do you get there by not being in the same league ? :roll:
Joe
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Sun May 18, 2008 7:31 pm

To be in the same league as Calzaghe you have to be a world champion and have defended your title a good number of times. I have seen a large number of boxers get to number 1 contender without really being much cop. And if you look at both the WBC and WBO rankings Denis Inkin is probably the real No 1 contender, as he is in the top 3 on both lists.
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby Joe » Sun May 18, 2008 9:03 pm

Tell me this how the fuck can Carl be a Worl Champion if Calzaghe won't give him a chance ?

This week Mick Hennessy is meeting with Calzaghes people to discuss the fight, as Calzghe said himself "if the money is right then i'll fight you" we'll see.

To be fair Froch was due to fight Inkin last week........Inkin pulled out.......
Joe
Manager
Manager

Postby Timbo » Mon May 19, 2008 9:32 am

Froch may well become WBC Champion by default if Calzaghe chooses to stick to Light Heavyweight and vacate his Super Middleweight titles. Calzaghe doesn't have anything to prove at Super Middleweight anymore or fighting any up and coming boxers. He's been there and done that. If he fights and beats Froch he will only be replaced by another No 1 contender. When he retires will his legacy be enhanced by having beaten Froch or Roy Jones Jr? At his stage in his career its understandable he should be looking for the biggest names and the biggest pay day fights.
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby Realist » Mon May 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Frank Warrens coments in his column saturday told it exactly as it is:

Witter is all washed up'

JUNIOR WITTER always wanted to be the Brit who beat Ricky Hatton.

Instead, in a few years’ time he might be remembered only by hardcore boxing fans after losing his WBC light-welterweight title to Timothy Bradley last weekend.

Brendan Ingle, Witter’s trainer, famously used to say his man would stand Hatton on his head. But none of Witter’s famed skills were on show in Nottingham, where he was floored in the sixth and lost a split decision.

I don’t want to knock the 6-1 underdog Bradley who looked like a hard-working kid who came with a game-plan and stuck to it — but he doesn’t appear to be a future Hall of Famer.

Witter’s never done much for me. I never understood why a lot of people thought he would beat Hatton at Hatton’s best.

He looked very ordinary against Jurgen Haeck on a Hatton undercard, so much so it killed the fight for Showtime and Sky.

Witter has paid the price for living off someone else’s name.

It’s a long way back for him and, at 34, I don’t know if he’ll be world champion again.

Carl Froch easily beat Albert Rybacki on the Witter under-card — then called for a Joe Calzaghe fight.

But just like Witter, Froch is trying to build his legacy off someone else’s name.

He must be insane if he thinks beating an unheard of 37-year-old with limited experience puts him on a par with Joe — undisputed world No 1 at two different weights.

Prediction League World Champion.
Realist

Prediction League Wins: 2

Return to Other Sports