Murray vs Nadal

Will England win a game of anything?
Will Tiger Tim win Wimbledon?

Previous topicNext topic

Murray vs Nadal

Postby skyblue » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:21 pm

I've just seen Murray playing Nadal. OK he lost, but I've got to say I think it was the best tennis match I've ever seen featuring a British player. He pushed Nadal all the way, and there were only 2 points between the players at the end. Stunning stuff.

It is still too early to say, but I have great hope that a Brit may win a major during my lifetime.
Have fun
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby Timbo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:08 am

Didn't see the game but when he's on song Murray is very entertaining to watch.
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby billythefish » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:38 am

Watched bits of it and agree it was quite a decent game.

Looked like typical Jocks, against the odds look like they can go through only to get so close then choke at the last minute.

[smilie=icon_wink.gif]
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby Cov_Lee » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:20 pm

He was unlucky to lose in my opinion. Was in Nadal's service games a lot more than the other way round. Couldn't make the break points count though - which I suppose shows Nadal's class; being able to pull it out the bag when the pressure's on.
Cov_Lee
First Team
First Team

Highscores: 1

Re: Murray vs Nadal

Postby TruthFinder » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:15 pm

skyblue wrote:I've just seen Murray playing Nadal. OK he lost, but I've got to say I think it was the best tennis match I've ever seen featuring a British player. He pushed Nadal all the way, and there were only 2 points between the players at the end. Stunning stuff.

It is still too early to say, but I have great hope that a Brit may win a major during my lifetime.

Alan Brazil says in his new book "Both Barrels From Brazil"

Andy Murray is now our best hope of a Wimbledon champion. (He will, of course, become 'British' the minute he becomes a big winner as the English try to adopt him as one of their own.

I agree. Murray went out of his way to support any team playing against England in the last world cup, so why should we want to class him as British when he is a Jock? Don't misunderstand me, if he has the talent to win Wimbledon then fair play to him, but lets not kid ourselves that he is British - in fact, I bet if he does win a major tourney he'll drape himself in the Jocko flag.

TruthFinder.
"To a human lemming, the logic behind an opinion doesn't count as much as the power and popularity behind it"
TruthFinder
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:44 am

I'm fairly sure he plays for Britain, not Scotland, in the Davis Cup???
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby Cov_Lee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:14 am

TruthFinder wrote:
I agree. Murray went out of his way to support any team playing against England in the last world cup, so why should we want to class him as British when he is a Jock? Don't misunderstand me, if he has the talent to win Wimbledon then fair play to him, but lets not kid ourselves that he is British - in fact, I bet if he does win a major tourney he'll drape himself in the Jocko flag.

[smilie=icon_question.gif]

But he is British.............and a Jock............
Cov_Lee
First Team
First Team

Postby TruthFinder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Cov_Lee wrote:
TruthFinder wrote:

He's a jock 1st, British 2nd. He is so entrenched in his Scottish roots, he wants England to lose at sport. No problem with that, but why should I as an Englishman want a jock to win when he wants my countrymen to lose?

TruthFinder.
TruthFinder
Manager
Manager

Postby Cov_Lee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:20 pm

TruthFinder wrote:
Cov_Lee wrote:
TruthFinder wrote:

He's a jock 1st, British 2nd. He is so entrenched in his Scottish roots, he wants England to lose at sport. No problem with that, but why should I as an Englishman want a jock to win when he wants my countrymen to lose?

TruthFinder.

You shouldn't if that's your view. My query was simply to question the idea that we are kidding ourselves he is British, when he is (regardless of whether he'd support other countries over England).

Due to the fact that we compete in the tennis as Great Britain and not England, Scotland etc... I'll support him.
Cov_Lee
First Team
First Team

Postby Timbo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:07 pm

If I actively supported foreign teams when Leicester City played in the UEFA Cup does that mean I'm not really English?

Re: Murrays England WC comments according to Wikipedia... "at a later date, Murray explained that his comments were said in jest in response to provocation from an English reporter who had asked him if he'd be supporting Scotland in the World Cup knowing full well that Scotland had not qualified for the tournament."
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby Terrace Guy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:51 am

Good to see some support for tennis on here!! Andy Murray is an enigma for me. I know he is representing Britain which is why i support him, but it always seems that he would rather Scotland broke away into a separate tennis playing nation. It was he, who after all created a monstrosity called the 'Aberdeen Cup' which is basically an end of season warm down held in Scotland which includes Andy thrashing a few inept English journeymen!. The guy even wears wristbands bearing the scottish flag, and what really bugs me is all the websites/newspaper articles call him 'scottish.' Now he IS scottish, but represents Britain! When was Henman ever called 'English'?
Terrace Guy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Other Sports