Blood money Grand Prix

Will England win a game of anything?
Will Tiger Tim win Wimbledon?

Previous topicNext topic

Blood money Grand Prix

Postby Burf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:07 am

So the stupid non-sport of F1 has sunk to a new nadir by effectively normalizing & legitimizing
the brutal & oppressive regime in Bahrain.
Ecclestone & Co could have sent out a clear message - by making pariahs of the regime on the world stage by saying 'no'.... I ain't gonna play Sun City

But it's all about the cash. The argument that it's 'raising the issue' via the world's media is a load of spurious old guff - there is a ring of steel around the circuit & the coverage is all talk of tyres & shots of pit babes as usual, whilst tear gas & blood will flow in the streets half a mile away.
Disgraceful.
"...your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side..."
Burf
Manager
Manager

Re: Blood money Grand Prix

Postby the boss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14 am

who gives a shit. They want to play with their toys let them. 8)
2014 will be our year !!
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:47 am

Who gives a shit?!

So pro democracy protesters being violently suppressed & killed whilst the glitz & glamour of a GP carries on doesn't bother you Boss?
Android [ Post made via Android ]
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:50 am

Burf wrote:Who gives a shit?!

So pro democracy protesters being violently suppressed & killed whilst the glitz & glamour of a GP carries on doesn't bother you Boss?

if you are so concerned write to your MP, Sky sports and the BBC. If the TV people refused to cover it there would be no grand prix. Simples 8)
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:47 am

Wrong - the TV / media companies have been put in a totally invidiuous position over this.
To be fair they are already on the ground there reporting ( as much as they can ) what's going on with the protest movement. They have contracts to honour with covering sporting events, if those events go ahead. They can't then pick & choose what to show.

The FIA should have made a stance regarding their own sport & said 'no'. It was totally within their power to do so.
Governments can only advise - I don't see it as within their remit to tell sporting bodieswhat they can & cant do - the best they could have done is to 'lean' on Ecclestone's lot to pull the Bahrain GP, which they havent.
I guess the Foreign Office are being shady as usual : they only rattle their sabre when it suits -I notice the King of Bahrain is invited to the sodding Queen's Golden Jubilee farago... :roll:
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby plastic scouser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:15 am

whoops
Last edited by plastic scouser on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
......waiting for the great leap forwards [smilie=icon_paper.gif]
plastic scouser
Manager
Manager

Postby plastic scouser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:19 am

It is disgusting....but not surprising...we're still selling arms to Bahrain too :roll:

Luckily, I believe ITV4 are showing a repeat of "paint drying", the full un-edited 6 hour version, so all those that were going to watch the grand prix have a more interesting alternative available.....
plastic scouser
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 pm

we let the Olympics go to China so this is a fairies tea party compared to that. If sport was cancelled everytime someone threw a brick we'd not have much to watch 8)
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 pm

I was waiting for the China argument to come up...except there's no argument to be made - they're two totally different situations.

In the case of Bahrain,the FIA had the power to make a difference & by publicly choosing not to go there exert some pressure on the regime....good luck to anyone trying to exert pressure on China.
So surely you try to make a difference where you can ? Just because you can't drag China into looking long & hard at it's basic freedoms, human right etc, does that mean you don't bother with anyone ?? Crazy logic.
And it's not just a few people throwing bricks Boss - it's a brutal suppression of freedom of speech & a cry for democracy; considering how tiny Bahrain is, the scale of violence is huge...if you scaled it up pro rata to a population like that of Egypt you'd be talking of thousands of civilian dead.

I guess you're just taking the line that much of the world seems to Boss : tiny country, don't really know anything about it, don't really care. :roll:

Guess they might as well go for a Syrian Grand Prix next then too...ok with you ? ;-)
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby dog rout 21 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Stop being so overly sensitive burf, the Bahrainian Crown Prince has backed the race, everything must be ok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17789161
ISUZU OUT!
#bringcovbacktonorthampton
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Burf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:40 pm

aah - ok...well if he says's it's ok... happy days then. cheers Dogga, all's right with the world. ;-)
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby Roger Mellie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Who fucking cares, F1 is utter shit anyway.
iPhone [ Post made via iPhone ]
Roger Mellie
Manager
Manager

Blood money Grand Prix

Postby Realist » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:53 am

But if Hamilton smashed into a wall at 200mph it would be worth watching. It would still be more interesting watching Lipgloss's reaction to it than the crash itself though. :lol:

Prediction League World Champion.
Realist

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby the boss » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:24 am

Burf wrote:

I guess you're just taking the line that much of the world seems to Boss : tiny country, don't really know anything about it, don't really care. :roll:

yep, one place this year another next year. Been going on before sport was even heard. If people cared so much not one person would tune into watch it and would not watch future gran prix but how many F1 fans will protest? I could sit and write on a footie forum how outraged I am, think that will change anything? :roll:
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Des » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:40 am

--
"I'm curvy, it's just the way I yam"
Des

Postby Burf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:50 pm

You're still opting to miss the point Boss. There was an opportunity for the FIA to send a signal...remember when the world boycotted apartheid era South Africa,music, sport, the lot...it increased the pressure.
Ecclestone chose the money instead.
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:22 am

Burf wrote:You're still opting to miss the point Boss. There was an opportunity for the FIA to send a signal...remember when the world boycotted apartheid era South Africa,music, sport, the lot...it increased the pressure.
Ecclestone chose the money instead.

when they stop business selling anything to them then, and only then sport should play its part.
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Why? Why could F1 not have taken the lead?
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Burf wrote:Why? Why could F1 not have taken the lead?

they did last year, who followed :roll:
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:11 pm

So no reason not to try again...
Burf
Manager
Manager

Next