help ( again )

All Computer help related questions in here please.

Previous topicNext topic

help ( again )

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:22 am

right lads, my laptop at home is showing full signal from the router and is connecting but will not open web pages. It is running Vista and I have never had this problem before. So gents, advice please 8)
2014 will be our year !!
the boss
Manager
Manager

Re: help ( again )

Postby Roger Mellie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:41 am

Kick it

[ Post made via iPhone] Image
Roger Mellie
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:50 am

Roger Mellie wrote:
Kick it

kicked, whipped, jumped on and more, still no f ing good. Not the router as my phone and other computer work fine :twisted:
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Roger Mellie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:52 am

Well the only thing left to do is kill yourself.

Roger Mellie
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:59 am

Roger Mellie wrote:
Well the only thing left to do is kill yourself.

:shock: bit harsh its only a laptop, easier to buy a new one :lol:
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:43 am

What is the error message coming up? And are other web based programmes working, just not your browser? i.e the internet games that usually come with the computer.
Have fun
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:04 pm

the games work, internet nada [smilie=icon_ashamed.gif]
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Does it tell you a certain file is missing? If so it sounds like a malicious progamme going around which hides the files needed to access the browser. My mate had it and I checked it with IE, Firefox and Google Chrome and it wouldn't let any enter. I ended up having to format his computer and reinstall everything.
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:50 pm

skyblue wrote:
Does it tell you a certain file is missing? If so it sounds like a malicious progamme going around which hides the files needed to access the browser. My mate had it and I checked it with IE, Firefox and Google Chrome and it wouldn't let any enter. I ended up having to format his computer and reinstall everything.

looks like you are right. Had something saying I needed to run a check on the computer from avast. Never been the same since. Do you think I should factory reset ?
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:55 pm

the boss wrote:
skyblue wrote:

looks like you are right. Had something saying I needed to run a check on the computer from avast. Never been the same since. Do you think I should factory reset ?

Thats exactly what happened to my mate. You can try that, it might work. I formatted his hard drive and reinstalled everything, but I was pissed off by then cos I'd spent two days trying to fix the damn thing.
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 pm

skyblue wrote:
the boss wrote:
skyblue wrote:

Thats exactly what happened to my mate. You can try that, it might work. I formatted his hard drive and reinstalled everything, but I was pissed off by then cos I'd spent two days trying to fix the damn thing.

cheers. Its a right pain in the arse, thankfully most of my important stuff is on the other computer so I will just reset it. Any idea how I do it :lol:
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:16 pm

just to add, I can connect and work if I plug in my wi-fi finder and connect though that :roll:
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Des » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Can you check the contents of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts using notepad. If it has unusual entries, you may be infected, as might your computer.
--
"I'm curvy, it's just the way I yam"
Des

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:39 pm

Des wrote:
Can you check the contents of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts using notepad. If it has unusual entries, you may be infected, as might your computer.

Des, its me :lol: Can you walk it for me ;-)
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Sky Blue Strawberry » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:02 pm

I blame the parrot
Sky Blue Strawberry

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Sky Blue Strawberry wrote:
I blame the parrot

I blame johnsolako
Nick
Manager
Manager

Postby Des » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 pm

the boss wrote:
Des wrote:

Have you got an anti-virus program running? If you have, run a scan on your hard drive. It may be able to sort it out easily.

By the way, does this computer work properly when it is connected by wires to the router, like the other computers?

You didn't click on one of those stupid popup messages you get from certais web-sites that say summat like "SCAN NOW!!! OR YOU MIGHT DIE!!!!"?
Des

Postby the boss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Des wrote:
the boss wrote:
Des wrote:

Have you got an anti-virus program running? If you have, run a scan on your hard drive. It may be able to sort it out easily.

By the way, does this computer work properly when it is connected by wires to the router, like the other computers?

You didn't click on one of those stupid popup messages you get from certais web-sites that say summat like "SCAN NOW!!! OR YOU MIGHT DIE!!!!"?

Yes mate, Avast, ran it and its clean :roll: Will not work with a cable to router and as for your last part

''You didn't click on one of those stupid popup messages you get from certais web-sites that say summat like "SCAN NOW!!! OR YOU MIGHT DIE''

what do you take me for :shock: Of course I did :lol: Ran a speed test and next to it was an add for making your computer perform better :lol: All I did was run the scan 8)
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Des » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 pm

http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutor ... moval.html

Read this and try out some of the programs mentioned. It's really hard to give you a bullet-proof way of sorting out this problem. If you have the CDs to re-install the operating system, that might be the easiest way to recover the computer.
Des

Postby the boss » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:28 am

Des wrote:
http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutor ... moval.html

Read this and try out some of the programs mentioned. It's really hard to give you a bullet-proof way of sorting out this problem. If you have the CDs to re-install the operating system, that might be the easiest way to recover the computer.

linkey no workey :lol:
the boss
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to All Computer Help