Lesta U21 to play at the Ricoh

Coventry City Chat!
Can *Insert current manager here* keep us up?
Has *insert whatever shite midfielder we have here* made a forward pass?
Keep up to date with Covenders!

Previous topicNext topic

Lesta U21 to play at the Ricoh

Postby billythefish » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Interesting turn of events that one. Whilst it is only the U21s I dont think that will go down well as a PR excercise!

I guess that ACL have got desperate as really cant see them getting much out of the deal. Historically there was agreements in place for many sides to play reserve games as lower league clubs (Arsenal @ Barnet, Man Utd @ Bury, Chelsea @ Brentford etc etc). I know some of these lower clubs have been pushing back recently as the financial benefit is nothing compared to the wear and tear on the pitch. Also I think that most games are now played in the afternoon rather than evenings and are sometimes entry restricted. The days of the old Pontins League games and a few hundred people up at HR watching the reserves has long gone.

So cant really see that ACL will get much out of this financially.

Can you imagine what grief SISU would have got if they owned the Ricoh and made that decision!

The mess goes on and on and no chance of it ending any time soon.
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Re: Lesta U21 to play at the Ricoh

Postby AD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 pm

I think some people have gone way over the top over it.

It's a one off game at a time when the pitch isn't being used and ACL are putting together a long term strategy with the assumption no team will be playing there. So in the meantime why not let someone use the pitch for even a small bit of income? Cash in the bank rather than none for prob. no extra expense, as LCFC will have to cover the matchday costs (which are likely to be minimal. Possibly a 'protest' about Leicester playing there, but I doubt it'll be much, perhaps people standing next to the railway line in protest!) They're playing closer to their home city than we are!

As you mentioned, a lot of teams have played their youth/reserve games on pitches outside their city. We've historically played ours in Nuneaton, with some at Tamworth. Was that an utter disgrace?
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby plastic scouser » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm

We've historically played ours in Nuneaton, with some at Tamworth. Was that an utter disgrace?

no, but then when our youth & reserves played there, the "host" clubs weren't in the middle of a massive ground/rental/legal dispute with their local council. landlords & owners were they?

....Besides, haven't ACL always maintained that matchday costs are "fixed".....so in theory they should be charging lesta u21's between 10-16K shouldn't they.....or are they (almost) as full of shit as sisu.

Its just cheap points scoring by ACL I'm afraid.....

...****, the lot of 'em.
......waiting for the great leap forwards [smilie=icon_paper.gif]
plastic scouser
Manager
Manager

Postby AD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:57 pm

If it were the first team, yes. But it's not.

There a lot less people and services needed for a youth/development game, so costs should reflect that. I doubt CCFC were charged the full whack for the few youth games played there either.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby The Yid » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm

So ACL's new Anchor tenant is Leicester reserves? Blimey, I bet the people of Coventry are grateful to have such dynamic business minds running their local 'community asset'/white elephant....

Personally I don't actually care that much, however it's interesting how the pitch is good to go when there has been no football club there all season. His much money have ACL spent on keeping an unused pitch? More sound business sense there....
iPhone [ Post made via iPhone ]
The Yid
Administrator
Administrator

Highscores: 5

Postby AD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 pm

And if they hadn't been maintaining the pitch, it'd be "don't want CCFC back.....don't care about the club or fans...blah-di-fucking-blah". I know for a fact that's what some idiots will be spouting come next season when they're either no longer maintaining it or got someone else using it.

Maintaining the pitch has made the return of the club potentially possible at very short notice. It's one of the many concessions and compromises, along with massive rent reductions and access to matchday revenues where possible depending on third party contracts, that have been made to try and bring the club home. The club (well Sisutium) have made the following concessions - asking for a fair rent and access to matchday revenues at the start, to complete freehold ownership of the stadium, the adjoining land and unencumbered by any third party contracts for a pittance now.....

Is there some definition of 'compromise' I've not heard? Because it seems very clear to me which side is moving the goalposts and making a resolution impossible.

They've now stated (about two weeks ago) they're looking at other long term options for the stadium. In the meantime why not get even a small amount of cash for its use. If some idiots see that as sacrilege let them.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby The Yid » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:16 pm

If ACL are bound by all these sub contracts they have signed up to, is it any wonder that they can't strike a deal?
I do understand the idea of having the pitch near to ready in the event of CCFC returning... But that's not exactly the message they are sending out through Lucas and the other ACL board members is it? If they won't sell because they are tied into contracts - just bloody come out and say it. Stop pretending that they are protecting a 'community asset' when we all know full well the Ricoh has done absolutely fuck all for the community. The only impact on the community will be that more council tax money will be wasted as a bunch of jumped up pricks with absolutely no business acumen desperately try and save face.
The Yid
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The Englander » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:11 pm

billythefish wrote:Can you imagine what grief SISU would have got if they owned the Ricoh and made that decision!

Absolutely spot on sire! The idiots that support ACL claim their reaction would be the same. Utter bullshit!
The Englander

Highscores: 7

Postby Burf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Fuck ACL. ****.
"...your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side..."
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby AD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 pm

The Yid wrote:If ACL are bound by all these sub contracts they have signed up to, is it any wonder that they can't strike a deal?
I do understand the idea of having the pitch near to ready in the event of CCFC returning... But that's not exactly the message they are sending out through Lucas and the other ACL board members is it? If they won't sell because they are tied into contracts - just bloody come out and say it. Stop pretending that they are protecting a 'community asset' when we all know full well the Ricoh has done absolutely fuck all for the community. The only impact on the community will be that more council tax money will be wasted as a bunch of jumped up pricks with absolutely no business acumen desperately try and save face.

You handily appear to have glossed over the massive jump in demands made by the clubs owners there. Fair rent to buying the whole shebang for next to nothing. If agreements are in place and a buying party doesn't wish to be bound by them, they have to up their bid to reflect that situation and cover the sellers costs of ending those contracts, or end them themselves after purchase. I've seen nothing to suggest SISU/Otium believe they should do that. If someone were to buy the club, and the buying party insisted before a sale went through that Otium should annul the contracts of certain members of the squad, manager etc and Otium should cover that cost, they'd tell them to go fuck themselves, and quite rightly. So why shouldn't the stadium owners.

Anyway, Otium could take the contracts on, put the stadium into its own company, admin it so the contracts are void and then buy it back themselves under a new name. Not like they haven't done that before...

The message I'm getting is 'we're ready to accept the club back on mutually beneficial terms, but not one where we, the residents of the city, and the other interested stakeholders get royally shafted'.

Seems like some non-league academy outfit (from Northampton ironically) will be using it next season. Hardly inspiring, but its only 8 games, which is usually about the amount its used for youth, womens and charity games so still plenty of free days for another outfit to use it as their base, as well as the usual summer stuff.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby The Yid » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:30 pm

I have never said that SISU/Otium should not pay a fair price for the Ricoh, but what they should never do is sign up to the ridiculous rental agreement that happened the first time, with no access to revenue streams. As for the contracts, they were equally as stupid as the original rental agreement, so why would anyone in their right mind offer to purchase them?? It is ACL's responsibility to address those... however it is more likely the taxpayer will end up footing that bill.

The problem is I imagine that both parties value the Ricoh very differently. Independent valuations don't seem to be high on anyone's agenda. So now we have the case of well should CCC set a price or should SISU put in an offer... neither appear to want to blink first.
The Yid
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sky Blue Steve-o » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Apparently ACL have found themselves a tenant for next season too...a private academy side for 16-19 year olds. I wonder if they're paying the same rental deal that City were offered.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport ... -1-5846417
Sky Blue Steve-o
Manager
Manager

Postby billythefish » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:29 am

Wow a non league academy side - I bet ACL are coining it in now. I assume council tax payers in Cov are looking forward to the rebates.
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby AD » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:43 pm

As I say it's only 8 games, which the stadium usually cover in youth, reserve, womens and charity games anyway. Hardly a full time tenant. They will be looking for further tenants than that.

Lesta back on Mon too.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby The Englander » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 pm

billythefish wrote:Wow a non league academy side - I bet ACL are coining it in now. I assume council tax payers in Cov are looking forward to the rebates.

I've already spent mine. Gutted aniseed balls have gone past the one pence mark, as I'm now out of pocket....
The Englander

Postby adge » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 pm

You could try fruit salad or blackjacks?
Android [ Post made via Android ]
Lest we forget-THE AWFUL PAUL TELFER!
adge
Manager
Manager

Postby The Englander » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Haven't both sweets been banned as one was offensive to gayers, while the other was offensive to another section of the community?
The Englander

Postby adge » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Na-that was Hartley's jam!
Android [ Post made via Android ]
adge
Manager
Manager

Return to CCFC Chat